Recipe by Chef Dudo
Like Zaar needs another hummus recipe.......But-this is different cause it's made from butterbeans (Lima beans) instead of the usual chickpeas. Found the recipe on the net a while back and have made it many times since then. Thought I'd share it.
- 1 lb dried butter beans (Lima beans)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup tahini
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water.
- Drain and discard the soaking water.
- Put the beans in a pot and cover with cold fresh water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer, partially covered, until they are very tender but not mushy.
- Remove from heat and drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Put the beans in a food processor fitted with a steal blade.
- Add garlic, tahini, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Puree this mixture, and with the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil and lemon juice.
- If the puree is too thick, pour in a little of the reserved cooking liquid until the puree is silky smooth, I use up about one cup of the cooking liquid.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt and cayenne if desired.