Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love colcannon (or bubble and squeak) but it wasn't allowed on my low GI diet so I came up with this. Very different to what you may have tried but very yummy. My mum likes to put a poached egg on top of her colcannon, I guess that would work here too.
- 400 g butter beans
- vegetable stock, enough to cover the bean
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fromage frais
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100 g sliced onions
- 100 g shredded green cabbage
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 25 ml water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- Drain and rinse the beans. Put them in a saucepan with the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Mash the beans with fromage frais and mustard and set to one side.
- Heat one tbsp olive oil and soften the onion over a low heat.
- Add cabbage, garlic, water and soy sauce. Simmer, covered for 10 minutes until the cabbage is soft. Keep stirring to make sure the ingredients do not stick.
- Pour the cabbage/onion mix over the butterbean mash and mix well.
- Heat the remaining oil and add the mash. Flatten into a "cake" and place under the grill to brown the top.