Recipe by English_Rose
An easy soup that's just as perfect for a dinner party as it is for curling up on the couch with.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, chopped into small bite-sized pieces
- 2 red onions, roughly diced
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 (15 ounce) tins butter beans, drained
- 1 savoy cabbage, outer leaves removed, core removed, and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, grated zest, plus juice of half the lemon
- 1 ounce parsley, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the chorizo and stir over a high heat for a few minutes until the oil has taken on a reddish-brown color from the chorizo. Add the onions, garlic and thyme and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the butter beans and stir so that all the ingredients are mixed and coated in the chorizo oil. Add enough boiling water to just cover them. Bring to a simmer and cook gently for about 2 minutes
- Add the cabbage to the pan. Stir in a little water if necessary so that there is enough liquid to cook the cabbage. Bring to a simmer and cook gently for about 5-7 minutes or until the cabbage is softened but still has a little crunch. When the cabbage is nearing the end of cooking, stir in the lemon zest and juice.
- Scatter over the chopped parsley and cook for 30 seconds. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Remove the thyme.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls and drizzle with olive oil (if desired for garnish) and some black pepper. Serve immediately with crusty bread.