Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cookie recipe uses no baking powder or soda, so the cookies come out crisp and buttery. It's one of my family's favorite cookie bars.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon real almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl mix softened butter and sugar.
- Mix in egg yolk, extracts and flour.
- Spread and press dough in a 15x10x1" jelly-roll pan.
- Brush top of dough with unbeaten egg white.
- Sprinkle top with nuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake in a preheated 320°F oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan, then cut into bars.
Yummy! My whole family gobbled these cookies up. I didn't have any chocolate chips but with the pecans on it, we didn't miss the chips at all. I'll definitely make this again but will bake them for less time.
These are buttery, crispy and simply delicious, just as you mentioned... I can see why they are a family favorite!! I used 1 cup of brown sugar instead of 3/4 cup for my sugar-loving DH! I omitted the chocolate chips and nuts, but brushed the top with egg white as stated... I will use the nuts and the chocolate chips the next time around! This is a wonderful cookie bar recipe that makes a ton of cookies! thank you for sharing!...Kittencal:)