1/6 Photos of Butter Balls
2 hrs 15 mins
There are similar versions to this cookie, but I truly think that if you make mine like directed, you will find that these are the best. They will melt in your mouth. This has been a recipe used in my family since I was a little girl. We always made them for Christmas and weddings, but they are good anytime. The key is to use butter and make sure you grind the nuts very fine. I use my Kitchen Aid grinder attachment, but you can also use a food processor. Other versions use just chopped nuts, but I think when they are finely ground that makes the difference. Another important step is to bake them at 250 degrees for 45 minutes. Again, the other versions don't do this, but I stick with my recipe and am never disappointed. The extra time is worth it! This recipe will probably make 100 balls, depending on how large you make the cookies. The baking time listed is just an estimate. It will vary depending on how many cookies you make and how many you put on a cookie sheet. You can fit quite a bit on a cookie sheet because they really don't spread much.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grind walnuts very fine. Set aside.
- 2Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 3Add vanilla.
- 4Add flour and nuts alternately. You may have to mix by using your hands to really get it all mixed together well.
- 5Roll into small balls, approximately 1-inch.
- 6Place on cookie sheet, ungreased. You can usually fit a lot of cookies on the cookie sheet because they do not spread that much.
- 7Bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, have a bowl of powdered sugar ready for when the cookies come out of the oven.
- 9When cookies are brought out of the oven, allow to cool for maybe a minute until you can pick them up without breaking them. Roll in powdered sugar and place them on wax paper. Cool.
- 10I also like to roll them in powdered sugar a second time when they are completely cool.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butter Balls
Serving Size: 1 (1576 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 86.7
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 9.7 mg
- Sodium 32.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 1.2 g