Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe caught my eye on the back of a bag of C&H Sugar. This smelled so good while baking - it woke up my son & husband! Great with a cup of coffee or tall glass of cold milk.
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons almonds, sliced and lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease and flour 8-inch square pan.
- Lightly toast sliced almonds, set aside.
- Blend sugar and melted butter.
- Add beaten eggs, mixing well.
- Stir in almond & vanilla extracts.
- Mix together salt & flour; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Spread batter into pan.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar and almonds.
- Bake 30-35 minutes.,.
- *Baking them for 30 minutes will give you a soft moist result, baking for 35 will give you a crunchy-topped delight.
I am not sure the description "bars" is appropriate. I followed this recipe exactly as written. It turned out 2 inches thick, a dense cakey texture at the edges but the center didn't get done even after baking 50 minutes. The aroma and flavor are fabulous but my family picked the nuts off the top and threw out the rest. Might make a good bar cookie baked in a larger pan with a lot more nuts on top.