Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came up with this tonight in order to use up some ground turkey and hash brown patties. I crossed my fingers as I went along, and surprise! - It is delicious! :) The kids also loved it (6 and 3 y.o.). It is comfort food at its best. Yum! I served this with a simple side salad.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb pork sausage, mild
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion (I used precut frozen)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, divided
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 hash brown patties (you can also try frozen shredded potatoes)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground turkey, ground pork, onions, 1/3 c cream of mushroom soup, egg, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix together by hand until all ingredients are well blended.
- Coat an 8 x 13 or 10 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Press half of the meat mixture into a long rectangle in the dish (about 10").
- Position the three hash brown patties from the center out (these were rectangular and about the size of an index card - made by Mr. Dee's). There should be an inch of meatloaf all around the edges, and you can add meatloaf where needed.
- Spread the rest of the cream of mushroom soup evenly over the three hash brown patties. Try not to get the soup on the meatloaf.
- Carefully press the rest of the meat mixture flat between your hands and place piece by piece over the hash browns until completely covered.
- Bring the edges of the meatloaf together, pinch and smooth out bumps. No soup should peek through.
- Place casserole dish uncovered in oven. Bake for 1 hour.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before serving.