Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Sinfully rich, but so worth it! Recipe courtesy of "The Food Chronicles" - Ann Criswell, Food Editor of the Houston Chronicle Newspaper
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 quarts milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large potatoes, baked
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled, plus more for garnish
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, grated, plus more for garnish
- chives, chopped for garnish
- Melt butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
- Using a wire whisk, slowly blend in flour until thoroughly blended.
- Gradually add milk, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in salt and pepper and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Cut potatoes in half, scoop out the "meat" and set aside.
- Chop half the potato peels (optional) and discard the remainder.
- When milk mixture is very hot, whisk in potato meat.
- Stir in green onions and potato peels.
- Whisk well, then add sour cream and crumbled bacon. Heat thoroughly.
- Add cheese, a little at a time, stirring until all is incorporated.
- Garnish with chives, grated cheese and bacon crumbles.
This was really a great soup! Baking the potatoes made a big difference in the flavour, much deeper. Very simple to put together, we had this for a very filling meal along with some crusty bread. Thanks for posting :) Made for Aussie Reunion Tag!
Very rich and very thick! Delicious! You could almost put it in a casserole dish and serve it as a potato side! LOL! We enjoyed this last night while we watched Thursday night football. Thanks for sharing another delicious recipe!
Yum. Love baked potato soup! I halved the recipe and this came out very well. We loved the taste and ease of this recipe. I used a Mexican cheese blend and green onions as the garnish. Thanks Nancy for a nice warm keeper on a cold winter day. Made for PRMR Tag.