Recipe by Hill Family
There is quite the controversy over who's caramels are better - Mary's or Butch's These are however easier to make.
- 1 lb brown sugar or 2 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup white Karo
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all ingredients to heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat until you have reached the softball stage or 247/248 on your candy thermometer. You can continue to cook for a bit longer if you like a bit harder caramel but this will give you firm yet chewy caramel.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray then sprinkle in your desired amount of nuts and pour caramel over. Let them cool and cut into squares. Wrap in freezer paper or wax paper and enjoy.
- If you double this recipe it makes a full jelly roll pan.