Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Paul Newman's "Newman's Own Cookbook". Trust me the book is worth you looking into. He states this makes a lot. That's ok. It keeps well in the refrigerator and it freezes very well too. You can split the large batch half to eat now half to freeze for later. Great on steak. Great on ribs.
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped garlic
- 4 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 cup clover honey
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup creamy horseradish sauce
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion
- 1⁄4 cup granulated garlic
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Do not mistake this may have a LOT of in ingredients but it is actually simple to make.
- Remember this takes a PREPARED CREAMY Horseradish sauce not the grated kind.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over med high heat until hot then add chopped onion and garlic and cook about a minute.
- Add the rest [now that isn't hard is it?] and boil. Stir to dissolve that sugar. Simmer and stir occasionally for 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf and let cool.
- This will keep for 2 months covered in the refrigerator.