Recipe by kausha in Italy
I got this recipe from an old book which belonged to my grandmother. She was the best in baking cakes, I would say! I loved her chocolate cakes with those chocolate fudge frostings....This is one of a cake which is very quick and requires only the basics. This is great after a family dinner just whenever you need! Enjoy!
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and lightly flour a 9x9x2-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Place shortening in small mixer bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add half the milk, the egg and vanilla.
- Mix at low speed of electric mixer till blended, beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Scrape sides of bowl, beat in remaining milk and beat 2 minutes more at medium speed.
- Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack. Frost with desired frosting.