Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My kids (all 4 of them, ages 9 month to 5 years) go absolutely crazy over this! Easy and quick. Great leftover, too.
- 32 ounces bush's chili beans (I use mild)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can creamed corn or 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn (drained) or 2 cups frozen corn
- sour cream (optional)
- ranch dressing (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- lettuce, shredded
- tomatoes, cubed
- Brown ground beef. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix beans and ground beef.
- Spray or grease sides of casserole dish.
- Pour beef and bean mixture into 2.2L - 2.6L casserole dish (I use glass).
- In a bowl make the corn bread as directed on the box.
- Either spread corn over beef and bean mixture, or mix it into the cornbread batter.
- Pour cornbread batter over beef and bean mixture (or corn if you spread it), and spread cornbread mixture evenly (making a little thin in the center is better, so it doesn't end up raw in the middle.
- Bake for about 35-45 minutes, check for doneness of cornbread (I generally tap it or go off the color -- if you use cream corn, a toothpick will have a hard time coming out clean).
- Let sit for 5 minutes after removing from oven.
- Scoop into bowls and top with optional ingredients.
Very good! I made the recipe as directed using 1 lb of ground beef and gluten free corn bread mix. DH really liked this dish.