Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Pesto with an Aussie spin from Bushfoodrecipes.com. Mountain pepper & bush tomatoes are authentic Australian indigineous herbs available from boutique herb specialists like Herbies.
- 1⁄2 cup raw unsalted macadamia nuts
- 1⁄2 cup raw parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon mountain pepper
- 1 teaspoon bush tomatoes
- Puree the nuts, parmesan and 1/4 cup of the oil in a blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend to a chunky paste.
- Serve on bread sticks or wattle seed blinis.
This turned out really nice;I've never made pesto using macadamia nuts; wow! I used a mixture of freshly crushed peppers for monutain pepper and to replace the bush tomato I used Old Bay seasonning. I really thought 1 1/2 cup of oil too much for me so I used only 1/3 cup and it turned our great. I made this for ZWT 5 Autralia/NewZealand. Thanks for posting
This turned out great . . . had to do a little substituting but the end product is yummy! Was unable to find mountain pepper, so substituted blend of ground black, white, green and red peppercorns. To add more spice I also so added a small handful of arugula. The other substitute was sun dried tomatoes for the bush tomato spice. Wasn't sure how long this will last in the fridge so cut the recipe in half. Made for ZWT 5, Australia/New Zealand