Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These little guys are food on the run. In Mexico they are a popular street stand food because everything is packed nicely inside the tortilla and there is no sauce needed for them.
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, in their juices
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄4 cups monterey jack cheese or 1 1⁄4 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 8 fresh flour tortillas (8-10-inch)
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the rice and cook for 8 minutes.
- Drain, rinse then drain again.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion, with the ground cloves and oregano, and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and tomatoes and cook over low heat until all the tomato juice has been absorbed. Set the pan aside.
- Put the chicken breast in a large saucepan, pour enough water over them to cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink on the inside.
- Lift the chicken out of the pan, put on a plate and cool sightly Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Shred the chicken by pulling the flesh apart with two forks, then add the chicken to the rice mixture, with the grated cheese.
- Stir in the sour cream, if using Wrap the tortillas in foil and place them on a plate.
- Stand the plate over boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Alternatively, wrap and heat in a microwave on full power for 1 minute Spoon 1/8 of the filling onto the center of a tortilla and fold the sides.
- Fold the bottom up and the top down to form a parcel.
- Secure with a toothpick.
- Put the filled burrito in a shallow dish or casserole, cover with foil and keep warm in the oven while you make seven more.
- Remove the toothpick before serving, sprinkle with oregano.
I added chicken broth to the rice and cut the dried cloved in half, this was a great reciepe and made much more than 8 burritos!