These little guys are food on the run. In Mexico they are a popular street stand food because everything is packed nicely inside the tortilla and there is no sauce needed for them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, in their juices
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 cups monterey jack cheese or 1 1/4 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 8 fresh flour tortillas (8-10-inch)
- 1Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil.
- 2Add the rice and cook for 8 minutes.
- 3Drain, rinse then drain again.
- 4Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- 5Add the onion, with the ground cloves and oregano, and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- 6Stir in the rice and tomatoes and cook over low heat until all the tomato juice has been absorbed. Set the pan aside.
- 7Put the chicken breast in a large saucepan, pour enough water over them to cover and bring to a boil.
- 8Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink on the inside.
- 9Lift the chicken out of the pan, put on a plate and cool sightly Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 10Shred the chicken by pulling the flesh apart with two forks, then add the chicken to the rice mixture, with the grated cheese.
- 11Stir in the sour cream, if using Wrap the tortillas in foil and place them on a plate.
- 12Stand the plate over boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- 13Alternatively, wrap and heat in a microwave on full power for 1 minute Spoon 1/8 of the filling onto the center of a tortilla and fold the sides.
- 14Fold the bottom up and the top down to form a parcel.
- 15Secure with a toothpick.
- 16Put the filled burrito in a shallow dish or casserole, cover with foil and keep warm in the oven while you make seven more.
- 17Remove the toothpick before serving, sprinkle with oregano.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burritos With Chicken and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (1081 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.2
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 32.8 mg
- Sodium 307.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 14.8 g