Recipe by AmyZoe
Why didn't I ever think about making something this fast when I was hungry instead of going out to eat? To make it faster, just use already prepared salsa instead of making your own. Recipe courtesy of McCall's Cooking School.
- 28 ounces tomatoes (whole peeled, drained and chopped)
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces green chilies, chopped and drained
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 ounces green chilies, chopped and undrained
- 16 ounces refried beans
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inch size)
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 radishes, washed and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Salsa: Put tomatoes, onion, chiles, jalapeno peppers, garlic, salt, pepper, and chili powder in a bowl. Mix well and cover. Let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes to let flavor develop. Makes 2 1/2 cups salsa.
- Preheat oven to 350. Make Burritos: Put butter in a 10 inch skillet and heat over moderately high heat.
- When hot, add onion and saute, stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Remove skillet from heat.
- Add undrained green chiles and refried beans to onion in skillet. Using a wooden spoon, stir bean mixture until ingrediens are thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Separate tortillas and spread one with about 1/4 cup of the bean mixture.
- Top bean mixture on tortilla with about 2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese and 2 tablespoons of the salsa.
- Fold one side of tortilla over the filling to the center, then fold opposite side over. Repeat with remaining tortillas until all are filled.
- Arrange tortillas in a single layer, seam side down, in a 12x8x2 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese down center of tortillas (You can also prepare recipe this far up to a day in advance and then cover and chill the burritos until you are ready to bake them).
- Place dish of burritos in preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Remove from oven and spoon remaining salsa along each side of the melted cheese. Garnish with sliced radishes and serve.