Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Canadian Living Magazine Test Kitchen "Try this warming meal with creamy sliced avocado on the side"
- 340.19 g lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 19.71 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml cayenne
- 538.64 g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 177.44 ml salsa
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 236.59 ml cheddar cheese or 236.59 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 118.29 ml light sour cream
- 236.59 ml lettuce, shredded
- In nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat, breaking up meat with wooden spoon, until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, oregano, salt and cayenne; cook for 2 minutes.
- In large bowl, mash kidney beans; stir in 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the salsa.
- Add beef mixture; stir to blend.
- Place 1 tortilla on rimmed baking sheet; spread one-third of the beef mixture right to edge of tortilla then sprinkle with one-quarter of the cheese.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Top with remaining tortilla and cheese.
- Bake in 450°F oven until cheese is melted, 10 minutes.
- Slice into wedges; top with sour cream, lettuce and remaining salsa.
I kicked up the beef with more chili powder, also cumin and coriander. Delicious!