Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chili peppers
- In a skillet, beat butter and saute onion.
- Blend in flour.
- Gradually add broth, stirring to keep smooth.
- Add tomato sauce, garlic salt and chili.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Spoon over your favorite burrito.
This is a great base for a burrito sauce, but it was a bit too thick for me. The burrito sauces I have had do not have a lot of spice in them, so I wasn't disappointed in that aspect. My enchilada sauce has spice to it; the burrito sauce I was after was very much like this posting spice-wise, but was thinner. I added less butter and flour, about 1/4 cup fresh cilantro and doubled the amount of green chilies. Everyone in my household loved it!
Had to add to much other spices to make it taste just ok. Way to bitter
This is a good base. I added 1tbsp of chili powder and 1 tsp of paprika. I also used garlic powder instead of salt to cut back on the sodium. I recommend this recipe. Just try it and you can fine tune it to your own tastes.