Recipe by Denise!
This recipe is so wonderful I had to share with everyone! Spicy and delicious - it's like a Mexican Lasagna! Makes a lot of servings and would be great for those Cinco de Mayo parties! From allrecipes.com and Kathi McClaren.
Top Review by Lisa P.
This is really yummy! I cut the recipe in half. I used ground turkey instead of beef. Also, instead of the colby cheese, I used the mexican style shredded cheddar cheese. I used a round 2.5QT casserole dish, and the tortillas fit in there perfectly. It is kind of like a mexican lasagna casserole. It is spicy and has kick, but not too hot. Really yummy! Even when the recipe is cut in half, it still makes a lot.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (2 ounce) can black olives, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) jar taco sauce
- 2 (16 ounce) cans refried beans
- 12 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 9 ounces shredded colby cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the ground beef for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic, and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Drain any excess fat, if desired.
- Mix in the olives, green chile peppers, tomatoes with green chile peppers, taco sauce and refried beans.
- Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish.
- Cover with a layer of tortillas followed by more meat mixture, then a layer of cheese.
- Repeat tortilla, meat, cheese pattern until all the tortillas are used, topping off with a layer of meat mixture and cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.