Recipe by Southern Lady
Recipe comes from a well used cut-out from a magazine, but doesn't display name or date of magazine. Serve piping hot on a cold winter day.
Top Review by LoriInIndiana
Served this for dinner last night, though it wasn't winter here but just chilly. I only used 1/4 cup of hot sauce, as that's all we had but I'm glad as the 1/3 cup would have made it too spicy for my family. Maybe our hot sauce is hotter than others. I also used julienned chicken breast instead. My family enjoyed this, thanks!!
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef (Turkey or Chicken)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies, chopped & drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄3 cup hot taco sauce
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 5 large pitted ripe olives, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In 10" skillet over medium heat, in hot oil, fry 1 tortilla at a time, about 30 seconds on each side, until lightly browned and blistered. - I brown mine in less oil, works fine.
- With tongs remove tortilla to paper towels to drain.
- Discard any unused oil. - If using ground turkey or chicken, I'd leave 1/2 to 1 Tbl of oil to cook meat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In same skillet over high heat, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until all pan juices evaporate and meat is well browned, stirring occasionally.
- Remove skillet from heat, stir in green chilies, refried beans and taco sauce.
- in 9" pie plate, place 1 tortilla; top with one-fourth of bean mixture and cheese; continue layering.
- Bake pie for 30 mins or until heated through.
- Garnish by sprinkling with sliced lettuce, tomatoes, and olives.