Recipe by GrammaJeanne
I got this recipe from my daughter. It is easy to assemble and tastes great. Mild, so it appeals to younger palates and those of us who don't like "hot spicy" - just full of flavor! Don't let the ingredients list intimidate you. It's much easier than it appears. Note: Sauce ingredients are marked with (s) (you can use 4 cups canned Enchilada Sauce instead of making your own.) Topping ingredients are marked with a (t)
Top Review by rickoholic83
Great casserole! I took the shortcut and used canned enchilada sauce. I also added some chopped garlic, onion and jalapenos while browning the beef. It was served with all of the toppings and was absolutely wonderful! Thanks for sharing, Jeanne. **Made for Spring PAC 2008**
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (1 1/2 ounce) packages dry enchilada mix (s)
- 3 cups water (s)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste (s)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (s)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (s)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (s)
- 9 (9 inch) flour tortillas
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans, warmed
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (t)
- 2 cups sour cream (t)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained (t)
- 2 cups onions, chopped (t)
- 2 cups guacamole (t)
- 1 (4 ounce) can black olives, sliced & drained (t)
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded (t)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine sauce mix, water, tomato paste, garlic, pepper & salt. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, brown the beef and drain. Stir in 1/3 of sauce.
- Spread 1/3 of sauce in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13" baking dish. Place 3 tortillas over sauce, tearing to fit the bottom of pan. Spoon half of the meat mixture over the tortillas, then sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese.
- Add 3 more tortillas. Spread refried beans over tortillas, then top with remaining meat. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese.
- Layer remaining tortillas, then top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- While it is baking, prepare topping ingredients into small containers and arrange on a serving tray.
- Serve casserole with topping tray so guests can choose whatever toppings they desire. (Can also be served plain without toppings and it's still very good).