Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another change of pace from tacos and burritos but with a Mexican flare.
- 1 cup refried beans
- 4 ounces mild green chilies, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 4 slices sharp American cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Combine beans, 2 tablespoons of the chili peppers, onion and 3/4 salt.
- Add beef and mix well.
- Form into 8- 5 inch patties.
- Cut cheese slices in half.
- Place 1/2 cheese slice on each beef patty.
- Fold to seal in the cheese, forming a semicircle.
- Grill or fry 5 to 6 minutes.
- Turn and grill or fry 4 to 5 minutes more or until done.
- Serve burgers in warmed tortillas.
- Add lettuce, chopped tomatoe, salsa and remaining chilies as desired.
We love Mexican food, and my DH loves hamburgers, so I thought this was perfect for us. However, we found them sort of bland, and cooking the refried beans in the meat just gave the burgers an odd flavor. If I tried it again I think I'd add taco seasoning to the meat and use the refried beans as a topping. These were OK, just not exactly suited to our tastes. Thanks anyway!