Recipe by cloeabear
A cross between manicotti and a burrito, I came up with this recipe by using whatever I had on hand. Use your favorite spaghetti sauce and any vegetables you like for the filling. It may sound weird but it is fantastic!
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 shallots
- 4 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 soft taco-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, saute mushrooms, garlic and shallots in olive oil, seasoning with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste and set aside.
- In same pan, heat tomato sauce and add about half of the canned tomatoes, seasoning to taste.
- Stir mushroom mixture and the rest of the tomatoes into cooked rice.
- In an ovenproof dish, fill each tortilla with 1/4 of the rice mixture, top with a spoonful of sauce and roll into burritos/manicottis.
- Top all of the burrissimos with sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted and turning golden brown.
- Serve on top of any left over sauce and garnish with fresh basil.