Recipe by Mizzy
This was another one of my favorite birthday cakes when I was little. I always requested it on other family members' birthdays.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
burnt sugar cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350 and butter a 9 inch springform pan.
- prepare cake by beating egg whites and sugar until very stiff.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk egg yolks and gently fold into egg white mixture.
- Fold in flour into the meringue, and pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and cool before preparing the filling and the burnt sugar sauce.
- While cake is baking, prepare filling by whipping the cream with the sugar until stiff.
- to make the burnt sugar cream, place the 3/4 cup sugar in a sauce pan over medium and heat until brown and melted.
- Pour 1/2 cup cold water and 1 tbsp instant coffee granules into the caramel, and continue to cook over low heat.
- in a small bowl beat 1 egg yolk, 1 tbsp flour, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar.
- Take this mixture and add to the caramel mixture over low heat and mix until unified stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and mix in 1 stick butter until melted.
- remove from heat.
- to make the pralines, fit a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and butter well.
- melt 3/4 sugar in a frying pan over low-medium heat.
- When completely melted and browned, add nuts and cook until nuts are slightly toasted.
- spread mixture into jelly roll pan, and allow to harden.
- Once hard, break into bite size pieces.
- When the cake is completely cooled start assembling: Cut cake in half lengthwise with a large knife.
- Sparead the whipped cream mixture inside, and lay the top back on the cake.
- Pour the burnt sugar cream all over the cake, covering the top and letting it ooze down the sides.
- sprinkle the top with the pralines.