Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is in response to a request. Taken from my 1960's Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. Prep time is only an estimation.
- Stir the shortening to soften.
- Gradually add sugar, and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Add egg yolks (one at a time), beating well after each.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together 3 times; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, a small amount at a time.
- Beat after each addition until smooth.
- Add Burnt-sugar Syrup; fold in egg whites.
- Bake in paper-lined 13 x 9 1/2 x 2 inch pan at 350ºF for about 40 minutes.
- Burnt-sugar Syrup: Melt 1/2 cup white sugar in heavy skillet over low heat until dark brown, smooth.
- Remove from heat; add 1/2 cup boiling water; return to heat; stir rapidly until like molasses syrup.
- NOTE: Frost with Seven-minute Burnt-sugar Frosting.
- Posted separately.