1 hr 10 mins
Miss Annie's Note:
This is in response to a request. Taken from my 1960's Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. Prep time is only an estimation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir the shortening to soften.
- 2Gradually add sugar, and cream together until light and fluffy.
- 3Add vanilla.
- 4Add egg yolks (one at a time), beating well after each.
- 5Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together 3 times; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, a small amount at a time.
- 6Beat after each addition until smooth.
- 7Add Burnt-sugar Syrup; fold in egg whites.
- 8Bake in paper-lined 13 x 9 1/2 x 2 inch pan at 350ºF for about 40 minutes.
- 9Burnt-sugar Syrup: Melt 1/2 cup white sugar in heavy skillet over low heat until dark brown, smooth.
- 10Remove from heat; add 1/2 cup boiling water; return to heat; stir rapidly until like molasses syrup.
- 11NOTE: Frost with Seven-minute Burnt-sugar Frosting.
- 12Posted separately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burnt-sugar Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3619.0
- Calories from Fat 1102
- Total Fat 122.4 g
- Saturated Fat 34.5 g
- Cholesterol 411.7 mg
- Sodium 1788.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 585.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 287.4 g
- Protein 48.1 g