Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is in response to a request. Taken from my 1960's Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. Prep time is only an estimation.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons burnt-sugar syrup
- 2 stiff-beaten egg whites
- Stir the shortening to soften.
- Gradually add sugar, and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Add egg yolks (one at a time), beating well after each.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together 3 times; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, a small amount at a time.
- Beat after each addition until smooth.
- Add Burnt-sugar Syrup; fold in egg whites.
- Bake in paper-lined 13 x 9 1/2 x 2 inch pan at 350ºF for about 40 minutes.
- Burnt-sugar Syrup: Melt 1/2 cup white sugar in heavy skillet over low heat until dark brown, smooth.
- Remove from heat; add 1/2 cup boiling water; return to heat; stir rapidly until like molasses syrup.
- NOTE: Frost with Seven-minute Burnt-sugar Frosting.
- Posted separately.