Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was a cake Mom made when I was a child. She didn't make it very often, but when she did...oh la la!
- Burnt Sugar: Melt 1/2 cup sugar in a heavy pan over low heat stirring constantly until dark brown.
- Add 1/2 cup boiling water and cook until mixture looks like molasses.
- Cake: Sift flour, measure, add salt and baking powder and sift together.
- In a separate bowl, cream shortening.
- Add sugar gradually and cream well.
- Add eggs one at a time to creamed mixture, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Add burnt sugar and vanilla.
- Bake in two greased and floured 8-inch round layer cake pans in a moderate oven (350 deg F); 30-35 minutes.
- Cool and frost with broiled frosting colored with burnt sugar.