Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was a cake Mom made when I was a child. She didn't make it very often, but when she did...oh la la!
- Burnt Sugar: Melt 1/2 cup sugar in a heavy pan over low heat stirring constantly until dark brown.
- Add 1/2 cup boiling water and cook until mixture looks like molasses.
- Cake: Sift flour, measure, add salt and baking powder and sift together.
- In a separate bowl, cream shortening.
- Add sugar gradually and cream well.
- Add eggs one at a time to creamed mixture, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Add burnt sugar and vanilla.
- Bake in two greased and floured 8-inch round layer cake pans in a moderate oven (350 deg F); 30-35 minutes.
- Cool and frost with broiled frosting colored with burnt sugar.
Everyone loved it! I made frosting the usual way, but added the leftover burnt sugar Syrup and it was delicious!
This is a great recipe! I made it in 2 9" pans, baked for 30 minutes .. We loved this!! thanks
Cindy Lynn, whatta fluke I clicked on your name! I chose it b'cause thats my sis-inlaws name and Lo' and behold .............you had a recipe my grandmother used to make in WVA! The burnt sugar cake! I remember it well! I will definately give it a try soon........maybe for my sisters birthday! It will be a sweet memory for her, I'm sure......is the broiled frosting you mentioned the same as Seafoam frosting? A cooked frosting with a marshmallowy texture?That's what Gram used on hers........When I make it I will let you know how it turned out! Thanx for the memories that were brought to mind just seeing that recipe!