Top Review by KitchenManiac
Followed this recipe to the T and it was fantastic, but def have everything ready and measured before you start. Or else you will be in trouble. Great over vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream :). Thank you
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 -5 drops lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Have everything you need for the sauce at hand; it comes together so quickly it’s best to give it your full attention.
- Remove the zest from the oranges in long thin strips with a zester (do not use rasp or peeler).
- Juice the oranges and set aside.
- Combine the zest, sugar, lemon juice and water in a small saucepan (The lemon juice helps avoid crystallization) Heat to boiling over medium heat.
- As the water and sugar melt, they will foam in large frothy bubbles.
- Never stir the caramel, but rotate the pan so the liquid moves the sugar around for even melting.
- Watch the liquid turn from clear to gold; from this point it will quickly turn to amber and burn.
- Remove the pan from the heat as soon as it appears dark gold.
- Place a mesh strainer over the pot (this prevents spattering) and add the orange juice.
- Add the butter to the pot and return to the heat.
- Add the whipping cream and stir until any remaining lumps dissolve.
- Strain to remove the zest.
- Store in the refrigerator and warm like a baby bottle- in the microwave or in a simmering pan of water.