Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
how can you say no to this?
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, burnt till dark
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- this recipe sounds a little confusing.but read it all the way through before attempting --
- in heavy pot, burn 1/2 cup sugar till dark -- put 1/2 cup boiling water in burnt sugar and let boil to a syrup -- this will take about 7 minutes -- cool, but keep warm --
- cream sugar and butter, add eggs and beat till creamy --
- then add water, salt, vanilla and burnt syrup leaving 2 tbls in the skillet for filling --
- add flour and baking powder, beat 2 minutes.
- bake in 2 greased and floured cake pans in a 350* oven for 25-30 minutes.
- to prepare FILLING:.
- put 2 cups sugar in skillet with burnt syrup.add butter the size of an small egg -- milk ( or light cream) and 2 tbls white corn syrup.
- boil till it forms a soft ball in water -- then let mixture cool and beat again --
- spread on cake.if icing gets too thick to spread -- add a little cream or milk --
- take a little while to prepare but it is well worth it -- in my opinion.
- I use 2-9" round cake pans -- .