Recipe by Steve P.
A very rich and decadent cake. Great for a diner party or Valentine's day treat. Sinfully Rich!
Top Review by lisasol
Made this cake for my boyfriend, and it was delicious. I didn't have cocoa powder for the whipped cream, so I just grated some dark chocolate and used that instead. Pictures are attached. Decorated it with chocolate shavings and strawberries.
I also chopped up strawberries and mixed them in with the cream I used for the filling in between layers. So good!
Tip - this cake is much better at room temperature. The first slice I had was when I took it out of the fridge and the cake was a little dry. I had more the next morning, and had left the cake out on the counter. It was so much better!
- 3 unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup boiling water
For Whipped Cocoa Cream
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl over hot (hot boiling) water and cool.
- Grease and flour two 9x11/2-inch pans.
- Tap out excess flour.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt onto waxed paper.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat butter, sugar and eggs in a large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and cooled chocolate.
- Stir in dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream and beating well with a spoon until smooth.
- Stir in water (Batter will be thin).
- Pour into pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with fingertips.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes, then turn on wire racks and cool completely.
- Split each layer in half crosswise to make 4 thin layers.
- Fill and frost with Whipped Cocoa Cream.
- To make Whipped Cocoa Cream combine listed ingredients in a chilled medium size bowl.
- Whip ingredients in chilled medium bowlwith chilled beaters until stiff.
- You can quickly chill the empty bowl and beaters by putting them in the freezer for 15 minutes or so while the cake is cooling.