Recipe by Troy Johnson
This chili is a new recipe that I put together for a chili cook-off where I work. I researched the winning recipes from the last 15 years of the annual chili cook-off held in Terlingua, TX. I then simply took what I liked, and left out what I didn't as far as ingredients. Then put that together with some of the basic ingredients that I had been using for years. The grilling technique is my own addition, and lends a beautiful smokey flavor to the chili. I love the show "Burn Notice" on USA, and I thought it would make a great name for my chili. Enjoy...it has some wonderful heat...just right.
- 2 lbs tri-tip steak
- 2 lbs ground beef, course chili grind
- 1⁄2 lb pepper bacon, cut into 1/4-inch squares
- 2 medium onions, minced in food processor
- 2 (8 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 2 diced poblano peppers
- 3 tomatoes, diced in food processor
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can refried beans
- 2 tablespoons mexican hot chili powder
- 2 tablespoons mexican mild chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons arbol chiles
- 2 tablespoons spanish paprika
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 (5 g) packets sazon goya with azafran
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak 2 handfuls of Mesquite wood chips one hour before. Prepare the grill medium to low heat. Indirectly grill Tri Tip on the grill with lots of Mesquite smoke for 20 minutes, then place directly over flame 3 minutes each side, remove from grill and cut into ¼” - ½” cubes – steak should be rare or no more than medium rare.
- Leaving bacon nearly frozen, cut into ¼ x ¼ “ pieces, cook in large stock pot until crispy. Remove bacon leave grease.
- Blend together spices (last 10 ingredients) then split in 3 equal parts
- Grey the ground beef with 1 part of the spice mix; add onion, green chiles, poblano peppers, tomatoes, chicken broth, beer, bacon and Tri Tip. Float Habanero pepper and simmer 1 hour.
- Add another part spice mix. Add re-fried beans. Simmer 1 hour. Remove habanero.
- Add remaining spice mix and simmer for 1 hour more, adding liquid if necessary. Adjust seasonings to personal taste last 15 minute Seed and mash habanero for more heat if necessary.