Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
The noodles soak up the sauce and all it's rich flavors! A friend of Deborah Madison, author of Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, with a passion for Asian food, came up with this vegetarian version of one of his favorites dishes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 (1 inch) rounds fresh ginger
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 2.46 ml sea salt
- 2 red bird chiles, chopped (or 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes)
Noodles and Vegetables
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms (or Chinese black mushrooms)
- 226.79 g fresh Chinese egg noodles (or fettucine)
- 78.07 ml chopped roasted peanuts
- 29.58 ml peanut oil
- 1 large tomatoes, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 198.44 g can coconut milk, cream reserved
- 236.59 ml snow peas, trimmed
- 2 scallions, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- cilantro (to garnish)
- basil (to garnish)
- mint (to garnish)
- Using a motar and pestle or a food processor, work all the curry paste ingredients into a tough paste and set aside.
- Soak the mushrooms in warm water in a small bowl for 15 minutes or longer; drain, reserving the liquid. Discard the stems and slice the caps into strips. Pull the noodles apart with your fingers. Prepare the peanuts.
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat, add the curry paste, and move it around the pan for 30 seconds. Lower the heat to medium and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently and adding small amounts of water from time to time to keep it from sticking. When it begins to release some of the oil, add the tomato, raise the heat, and add the mushroom liquid and coconut milk. Simmer for a minute, then add the mushrooms, snow peas, scallions, and soy; turn off the heat.
- Cook the noodles in plenty of boiling water until tender, about 4 minutes for fresh noodles. Scoop them out, shake off the excess water, and add them to the wok. Lift several times to coat thoroughly with the sauce. Pile the noodles onto platter and garnish with the reserved coconut cream, the peanuts, and the herbs.