1/3 Photos of Burmese Curry and Rice
Mimi in Maine's Note:
This sounds simple but is elegant and fun. If you like curry, you will like this. The recipe came from a missionary's daughter who grew up in Burma. When she grew up and came home to the United States she fashioned the ingredients to fit what was available to her. In Burma the people would eat mostly rice and if they had anything to go with the rice they were fortunate. She said that this is like a banquet meal for them. You will have most everything on hand for this meal. It is delicious. The flavors blend wonderfully well. Have some people in for dinner they will have fun preparing their plate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 onions, diced coarse
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 (15 ounce) can mixed vegetables (I use Veg All)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup raw rice, cooked
The following amounts are approximate
- 1Dice the onions and fry gently in butter for a couple of minutes.
- 2Add the curry power and simmer till onions are almost done.
- 3Add 1 pound hamburg and cook till done.
- 4Add the can of mixed veggies and the tomatoes and simmer for 1/2 hour over low heat (if you need to, add a little water).
- 5Salt to taste.
- 6NOTE: If more curry is needed, mix it with a little water before adding to mixture.
- 7Cook the rice.
- 8Make a small salad using the lettuce, tomato, and cucumber-- (the amounts are general--use what you need for the amount of people you have eating).
- 9Put everything in separate bowls and line them up on a buffet.
- 10When ready to eat, build on your plate as follows--cooked rice, curry mixture, salad, crushed potato chips, peanuts, shredded coconut, lay 1/2 banana sliced lengthwise on the plate on either side of the mound, and squeeze lemon juice over all.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burmese Curry and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 785.7
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 91.3 mg
- Sodium 776.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 39.1 g