1/1 Photo of Burmese Chicken Curry
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe is from Sunset Magazine's Food Processor Cook Book, now out of print. These days I generally reduce the salt and the soy sauce a bit, but have included amounts as per the original recipe. What I like in particular about this recipe is that, except for the fresh chicken, I generally have all of these ingredients in the pantry. I serve this over rice or rice noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 medium onions, peeled
- 5 small dried hot chili peppers, seeded
- 1 tablespoon coarsley chopped fresh ginger
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 lbs whole chickens, cut into serving pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb canned tomato
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1Slice three of the onions and set aside.
- 2Cut the remaining two onions into chunks, and process with the chile peppers, ginger and garlic, until pureed.
- 3Mix together the salt and turmeric and rub the chicken with the mixture.
- 4Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook until it is browned, turning over once, about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken.
- 5Add the sliced onions and the pureed onion mixture to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sliced onion is very limp.
- 6Process the tomatoes with their liquid until smooth; add to the skillet along with the water, soy sauce and zest.
- 7Return the chicken except for the breasts to the pan, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- 8Add the breast pieces and continue to simmer, covered, for about 20 more minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink.
- 9Remove the chicken from the skillet to a serving dish and cover to keep warm.
- 10Boil the sauce, uncovered, stirring constantly, until it is reduced to about 3 cups. Skim off and discard the fat. Spoon the sauce over the chicken.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burmese Chicken Curry
Serving Size: 1 (416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 687.7
- Calories from Fat 439
- Total Fat 48.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 160.4 mg
- Sodium 1443.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 41.1 g