Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This popular breakfast dish is also enjoyed as a light meal anytime of the day. Totally vegan but also a satisfying comfort food. Can be topped with a sunny side up fried egg to make it a hearty breakfast. Easy, economical and easy on our planet.
- 1 cup dry whole yellow peas
- 4 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- Cook yellow peas along with brown sugar in rice cooker with water filled up to 4 cup mark for rice. Partially cover the rice cooker with lid to prevent overflowing during cooking. It will take about 45 min to cook.
- Set wok or heavy skillet on medium heat.
- Slice onion thinly and fry in peanut oil until golden and fragrant stirring continuously to prevent burning.
- Add cooked rice to wok and stir-fry for 5 minute.
- Add dark soy sauce to rice.
- Scatter 1 cup of cooked yellow peas over rice and stir-fry for another 5 minute.
- Serve hot accompanied by sweet milk tea.
- remaining cooked peas can be packed and frozen for later use.