1/3 Photos of Burmese Beef Curry
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is based on a Charmane Soloman recipe. It's really important to be patient carrying out the initial frying. Altough the ingredients are simple, the initial frying provides the flavour. I serve this over rice, with fresh coriander to garnish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 inches gingerroot, peeled
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 750 g beef steaks, cut into largish pieces, i used rump
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 375 g potatoes, peeled quartered or 3 large potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1Place the onions, ginger and garlic in a food processor and process until smooth.
- 2Add the chili powder, and turmeric and paprika until combined.
- 3Heat the oil until smoking point is reached, then add the contents of the processor or blender.
- 4Be very careful as this mix will splutter as it hits the very hot oil.
- 5Stir into the oil, reduce the heat of your burner to low, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes.
- 6You will need to stir fairly regularly, and be patient.
- 7The mix will begin to evaporate, start to smell sweeter and eventually turn a redish brown, with the oil seperating to the edges.
- 8It may take more than 30 minutes, like I said, be patient!
- 9Mix the cumin, coriander and salt together and massage through the steak pieces.
- 10Add the steak and potatoes to the onion mix, fry for a couple of minutes, then add the water.
- 11Bring to the boil, stirring, then reduce the heat and cover.
- 12Cook for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- 13Remove the lid, increase the heat and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and reduced.
- 14Serve over plain rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burmese Beef Curry
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.6
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 897.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: