Recipe by Nana Lee
Your kids could make these with your supervision. Chocolate on the outside with a yummy treat on the inside. Your kids will get a kick out of these cupcakes with a cookie treat that bakes inside. EQUIPMENT NEEDED: 1 large and one small mixing bowl hand mixer rubber spatula & wire whisk 2 oven mitts 24 cupcake paper liners 2 (12 cup) muffin pans wire rack measuring spoons 1/4-cup dry measuring cup 1 liquid measuring cup
Top Review by PM Chef
I made this recipe (after seeing it printed in kraft foods magazine) because I am searching for a really good cream filled cupcake. They were easy, tasted good, and went fast at the picnic. As another reviewer mentioned when I used a 1/4 cup of batter on the bottom I ran out of batter to cover the filling. I have to admit that I thought these would taste a little more exciting. If you didn't know there was a filling with a Oreo in the middle and your eyes were closed you would guess it was just a basic chocolate cupcake. I started to top the cupcakes with the whipped cream however due to the heat (whipped topping melting all over) I had to scrape the whipped topping for a traditional frosting. My family really enjoyed this treat (I was a little less impressed). I will probably try making them again because they were tasty but I am still looking for a better filled cupcake.
- 1 (18 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 48 miniature Oreo cookies (chocolate sandwich style cookies)
- 1 1⁄2 cups thawed whipped topping
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
- Prepare cake batter in large mixing bowl as directed on package; set aside.
- WHISK cream cheese, egg and sugar in small mixing bowl until well blended.
- SCOOP cake batter, using 1/4-cup dry measuring cup, into each of 24 paper or foil-lined medium muffin cups, filling each cup about half full.
- SPOON 1/2 tablespoons of cream cheese mixture over batter in each muffin cup. Top with 1 cookie.
- Cover evenly with remaining cake batter.
- BAKE 19 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- TOP cupcakes with whipped topping and remaining cookies just before serving. .