Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
These little hidden treasures are sure to tempt your sweet tooth anytime! Great for adding onto your holiday trays to family, friends and co-workers. Cooking time is time per tray.
Top Review by sillysukimo
I'm not sure if I put in a little too much flour (I didn't sift) or if it was because I was using medium eggs. But the dough was a bit dry. I ended up adding another egg & they turned out perfect. These are one of my favorite cookies, both to eat & to make.
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, reserve juice (42-48)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk or 1⁄2 cup low fat sweetened condensed milk
- 4 teaspoons reserved cherry juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Drain cherries, reserving juice. Halve any large cherries.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer, on medium to high speed, for 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in cocoa powder, and as much of the flour as you can with mixer.
- Stir in remaining flour using a wooden spoon.
- Shape dough into 1" balls.
- Place balls about 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Press your thumb into the center of each ball. Place a cherry in each center.
- For Frosting:.
- In a small saucepan combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk.
- Cook and stir, over low heat, until chocolate is melted.
- Stir in 4 teaspoons reserved cherry juice.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover (frosting may be thinned with additional cherry juice, if necessary).
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until edges are firm. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet.
- Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool.
- For best results DO NOT substitute imitation chocolate pieces.