2 hrs 5 mins
This is a savory stew, from Noel Kenney of Crookedwood House. Adapted from The New Irish Table.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 lbs venison, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups Burgundy wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, grated (approximate, use 1 orange)
- 6 juniper berries, crushed
- 12 large white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1Make a bouquet garni by placing the parsley, thyme and tarragon sprigs on a square of cheesecloth. Bring the corners up over them and tie together. Set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat.
- 3Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes on each side.
- 4Remove and drain on paper towels.
- 5Add onions and saute until browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- 6Add venison and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning once or twice.
- 7Sprinkle flour over meat and onions, and stir until coated.
- 8Cook for 2 minutes.
- 9Stir in wine, stock, garlic, orange zest, and juniper berries.
- 10Bring to a boil.
- 11Reduce heat.
- 12Add bouquet garni, salt and pepper.
- 13Cover and simmer until meat is tender and sauce is thick, about 1 1/2 hours. If too thick, add a little more stock or some water.
- 14Add bacon and mushrooms.
- 15Uncover and cook for 20 minutes.
- 16Remove bouquet garni.
- 17Serve with a sprinkling of minced parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burgundy Venison
Serving Size: 1 (570 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.4
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 201.2 mg
- Sodium 679.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 58.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: