Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
In Saveur's 'The New Comfort Food'
- 8 ounces thick slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch slices and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs trimmed boneless beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 celery rib, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups veal stock
- 1 (750 ml) bottle full-bodied red wine, such as merlot
- 1 bouquet garni (1 sprig each parsley and thyme and 1 bay leaf, tied together with kitchen twine)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 32 white pearl onions, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Cook bacon in an 8-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate; pour off all but 2 tbs of the rendered fat.
- Increase heat to med-high and add the oil to the Dutch oven.
- Working in batches, add the beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook, turning occasionally, until the beef is browned on all sides, 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add the carrots, onions, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and browned, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Return the beef to the pot along with any juices, sprinkle with flour, and stir until the ingredients are well coated with flour.
- Add the stock, wine, and bouquet garni.
- Cover and transfer to teh oven, and cook until the beef is tender, 2 1/2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tbs butter in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and golden brown, 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tbs butter to the skillet along with the pearl onions and 2 tbs water.
- Cover partially and cook until the water evaporates and the onions are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Uncover and continue cooking onions, stirring occasionally, until browned all over, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer onions to the bowl with the mushrooms and cover to keep warm.
- Remove the beef from the oven.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a large bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Set a fine mesh strainer over a 4-quart saucepan.
- Strain the cooking liquid, discarding solids, and bring to a boil over med-high heat; cook until reduced and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 10-12 minutes.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide the reserved beef between 8 serving bowls and pour some sauce over each serving.
- Divide the bacon, mushrooms, and pearl onions evenly between the bowls, and garnish with the parsley leaves.
- Serve with crusty bread.