Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I am not sure where I got this recipe but is has been a family favorite for a long time.
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lb boiling potato, peeled or unpeeled 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large sliced carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups defatted beef broth or 1 1⁄2 cups beef bouillon
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb cubed beef stew meat
- In a large crockpot, combine onion, garlic, potatoes, cabbage, carrot,and rice.
- Add meat.
- In 4 cup measuring bowl, stir together broth, wine, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, thyme, chili powder, mustard, and black pepper.
- Pour mixture over meat and vegetables into sauce, and cook an addition 6 1/2 to 8 hours on low.
This stew turned out awesome!! I am looking forward to making it again. I made it exactly as stated, except I didn't have any red pepper flakes so I used 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper. Served it over bread and it tasted perfect...I wouldn't change a thing!! Thank you so much for this great, simple recipe!!
Cut this back to 4 serves which fitted my crock pot and us, though I bought a slice of chuck steak and 2 slices of gravy beef and ended up with just over a 1lb (1/2K) of meat and did not use red wine but subbed with extra beef stock, eitherwise followed through but would cut back on the thyme (came through a bit too strong) and for my crock pot this recipe would be 7 hours (did 6.5 hours) and in the last hour added a couple of handfuls of peas. Was enjoyed by the DM, DS and myself. Thank you Audrey M, made for Revised Bargain Basement Game.