Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
A flavorful stew that can be served with a large green salad and crusty bread.
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (3 lb) round-bone pot roast, all visible fat removed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup Burgundy wine (or another dry red wine)
- 1 cup sherry wine
- 3 cups fat-free beef stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 small new potatoes, unpeeled and scrubbed
- 4 medium-size carrots, peeled and halved
- 16 boiling onions or 3 medium-size onions, quartered
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- Combine the flour and pepper in a medium-size plastic bag.
- Add the roast and shake until well coated, patting off any excess flour.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the floured roast and brown, turning frequently until well browned on both sides, about 20 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer until almost dry.
- Add the sherry and again simmer until almost dry.
- Add the stock, thyme, marjoram, basil, and bay leaves and simmer, covered, over low heat, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and onions and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking.