1/3 Photos of Burgundy Meatball Stew
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe has been lost for years and I have just found it, my Dad was the cook in the family growing up and my sister and I always loved this simple and delicious stew. Very kid friendly and flexible. Would be great for OAMC( you could use frozen meatballs)and could be adapted to a crockpot, would double or triple easily. Enjoy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g ground beef, i use (pork,veal,beef combo)
- 236.59 ml fine soft bread crumbs
- 59.14 ml finely chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 7.39 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml dried thyme
- 14.79 ml butter
- 14.79 ml oil
- 396.89 g can tomato sauce
- 283.49 g can beef bouillon or 283.49 g can consomme
- 236.59 ml dry red wine
- 236.59 ml water
- 250 g bag frozen pearl onions (or use fresh)
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut in large cubes
- 4 carrots, cut in 1 inch chunks (can use a bag of baby carrots)
- 226.79 g mushroom, quartered (optional)
- 59.14 ml parsley, chopped
- 29.58 ml flour
- 118.29 ml cold water
- 1Combine beef, breadcrumbs, onion, egg, salt, pepper and thyme; shape into 1 1/2 inch meatballs.
- 2In a large flameproof casserole or dutch oven, heat butter and oil; brown meatballs lightly on all sides.
- 3Drain excess fat and add remaining ingredients except parlsey, flour and water.
- 4(Recipe may be made ahead to this point and refrigerated).
- 5Cover and bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 6Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 7During last 15 minutes of baking, thicken sauce with 2 tbsp flour into 1/2 cup cold water.
- 8Add parsley and serve.
- 9Note; This casserole freezes well, baked.
- 10Thaw completely and reheat at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 11You can also freeze in tubs and pop into a crockpot to reheat.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burgundy Meatball Stew
Serving Size: 1 (458 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 599.3
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 138.9 mg
- Sodium 1267.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 34.9 g