Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I have a confession to make--I don't like lasagna (bad experience as a child)...that is, until I ate this! My friend made this for my boys one evening for dinner and they both asked for 3rd helpings, so I decided to break down and make it myself for the 3 lasagna-loving males in my household. And do you know what? I found out that I actually liked this--well, actually, I love it! The original recipe came out of my MOPS cookbook, but I tweaked it somewhat and have been so pleased with the results. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb Italian sausage, out of its casing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (diced works well, too)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 cup red Burgundy wine
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1 lb lasagna noodle, cooked (9-12 noodles)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Brown meat on the olive oil with onions and garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.
- In a 9X13 pan, put a little sauce on the bottom, then lay down 3 noodles.
- Put ricotta cheese down the center of each noodle. Sprinkle each with Mozzarella cheese and put a little sauce down each noodle.
- Repeat 3 times.
- For last layer of sauce, cover the whole dish.
- Use Parmesan cheese as desired, either in the cheese layers or on top, or both (you made need more than what is listed in the ingredients).
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.