Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A nice, rich Burgundy pie - an easy recipe (don't let the number of steps fool you) and delicious! cook in large deep-dish pie plate or 2-quart casserole
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups red Burgundy wine
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule (or 1 cube)
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) packagefrozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large skillet, sauté onions in butter and oil over medium heat until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic, and cook until soft.
- Cube the chicken breasts and add to the skillet; cook until pieces are browned on all sides.
- Stir in the thyme, then sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir again; add the wine.
- Add the chicken bouillon to the hot water and stir to dissolve, then stir into the chicken/vegetable mixture.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer into a deep pie dish or a 2 quart casserole and set aside (there may be excess sauce- save it and cook it separately in a saucepan for gravy after the pie is done).
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Roll out the puff pastry.
- Cut a 1/2-inch (1 cm) strip of pastry; brush the rim of the pie plate with warm water, arrange the pastry strip around the top edge of the pie dish, and gently press the pastry onto the rim.
- Brush the pastry edge with warm water; roll out remaining pastry large enough to cover the filling, place on top of the pre-placed edge, seal the edges well, and trim and crimp the edge.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg, and make a small decorative vent hole in the center of the top (if you like, you can use the pastry trimmings to make leaves and arrange them on top of the pie; don't forget to brush them with egg, too).
- Bake the pie in your preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is crisp and golden.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.