Recipe by Dib's
A very good crock-pot recipe. A Fall and Winter favorite with my family.
Top Review by Charlotte J
Age eleven and above liked this stew. I'd like to see about 1/4 pound more mushrooms in it. The beef just melted in your mouth. Next time I fix this I'll try 1/2 cup less of the wine because our 7 year old son did not care for the taste of the wine.
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 lb small mushroom, left whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine (burgundy)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skilled melt the butter or heat the oil and brown beef.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots and stir for a few minutes.
- Pour into a crockpot and add remaining ingredients EXCEPT flour and water.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Drain juices into a large saucepan, mix flour and water to make a med paste and whisk in to juices over med-high heat to make a medium gravy.
- Add to stew, stir and serve.
- Serve with a salad and french bread and of course the remaining wine!