2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
My family enjoyed this recipe. I got it out of a cookbook years ago, but I can't remember which one. Prep time is approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 lbs ground round or 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (5 slices)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1Combine wine, celery, garlic and bay leaf in a small saucepan; bring to boiling; lower heat; simmer, uncovered until volume is reduced to half, about 10 minutes.
- 2Remove and discard garlic and bay leaf; cool wine mixture completely.
- 3Combine beef, bread crumbs, onion, parsley, salt, rosemary, thyme, and pepper in a large bowl; add the wine mixture, eggs, Worcestershire and 1/2 cup of the beef broth (reserving the rest of the broth for sauce).
- 4Mix until well blended.
- 5Shape into an oval loaf on a lightly oiled shallow baking pan.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until loaf is a rich brown.
- 7Remove with 2 wide spatulas to a heated platter; keep warm.
- 8Add reserved broth and 1/4 cup water to drippings in baking pan; bring to boiling, stirring constantly to loosen browned bits.
- 9Strain into a 1 cup measure.
- 10(Add water to make 1 cup).
- 11Make Burgundy sauce (recipe below).
- 12Arrange small buttered whole carrots, onions and sauteed mushrooms on platter with loaf, if you wish; sprinkle with parsley.
- 13Serve with Burgundy Sauce.
- 14Serves 8-10.
- 15FOR THE BURGANDY SAUCE: Saute 1 tblsp chopped shallots or green onion in 2 tblsp butter or margarine in a medium size saucepan, about 2 minutes.
- 16Stir in 3 tblsp.
- 17flour; gradually add the reserved broth and 1/2 cup Burgundy wine.
- 18Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and bubbles 2 minutes.
- 19Stir in 1 teaspoon chopped parsley.
- 20Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burgundy Beef Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 461.5
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 120.8 mg
- Sodium 1132.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 22.9 g