Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My family enjoyed this recipe. I got it out of a cookbook years ago, but I can't remember which one. Prep time is approximate.
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (5 slices)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon green onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine
- reserved broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- Combine wine, celery, garlic and bay leaf in a small saucepan; bring to boiling; lower heat; simmer, uncovered until volume is reduced to half, about 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard garlic and bay leaf; cool wine mixture completely.
- Combine beef, bread crumbs, onion, parsley, salt, rosemary, thyme, and pepper in a large bowl; add the wine mixture, eggs, Worcestershire and 1/2 cup of the beef broth (reserving the rest of the broth for sauce).
- Mix until well blended.
- Shape into an oval loaf on a lightly oiled shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until loaf is a rich brown.
- Remove with 2 wide spatulas to a heated platter; keep warm.
- Add reserved broth and 1/4 cup water to drippings in baking pan; bring to boiling, stirring constantly to loosen browned bits.
- Strain into a 1 cup measure.
- (Add water to make 1 cup).
- Make Burgundy sauce (recipe below).
- Arrange small buttered whole carrots, onions and sauteed mushrooms on platter with loaf, if you wish; sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with Burgundy Sauce.
- Serves 8-10.
- FOR THE BURGANDY SAUCE: Saute 1 tblsp chopped shallots or green onion in 2 tblsp butter or margarine in a medium size saucepan, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 3 tblsp.
- flour; gradually add the reserved broth and 1/2 cup Burgundy wine.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and bubbles 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon chopped parsley.
- Makes about 1-1/2 cups.