Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
From the Crockery Cookery book, 1975 edition. I use this book for many of my recipes for the crockpot.
- 5 lbs ducklings, ready-to-cook
- 1⁄4 cup Burgundy wine
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon marjoram, dried and crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 drops bottled hot pepper sauce
- With a fork, prick skin of ducking all over at approximately 2 inch intervals.
- Place metal rack or trivet in bottom of slow-cooking pot.
- Set duckling, breast side up, in pot.
- Combine Burgundy, lemon juice, butter, Worcestershire, garlic, salt, marjoram, pepper, and pepper sauce.
- Mix well.
- Brush about half the sauce over duckling. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.
- If possible, remove excess fat, brush with more sauce.
- Turn duckling once during cooking.
- Remove excess fat again at end of cooking time on low.
- Turn control to HIGH.
- Brush with remaining sauce.
- Cook a final 30 minutes.
- If a browner bird is desired, it may be placed on a broiler pan or heat-proof platter and browned in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 or 20 minutes.
- If desired, duckling may be cut in halves or quarters before cooking to fir a 3 1/2 quart or smaller cooking pot.