Recipe by erinBOberrin
Hearty and easy crockpot meal!
Top Review by Carolinamoonshine
Taste is "very good;" I will definately make this one again. Prep work took about one hour. Good variety of vegetables. I cooked it on High for 5 hours and 30 minutes. However, it was very, very thick--not like a stew at all. When I served the leftovers, I added TWO CUPS of beef bullion broth and it still wasn't enough. I will reduce the barley to 1/4th cup next time and add more celery and mushrooms and double the wine and beef broth. One helpful fact I noted in my Rival Crock-Pot booklet was the ability to make a recipe the night before and store it in the "removable" stoneware container in the refrigerator, covered with pastic wrap, with no change in cooking time. And since the prep time is considerable, I will do this the next time.
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb stew meat (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans beef broth (low sodium)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots (about a cup)
- 4 -5 baby red potatoes (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and beef in large ziploc bag.
- Shake to coat beef.
- Heat oil in large skillet (medium-high).
- Add beef, onion, celery and garlic.
- Cook 6-7 minutes, until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are a little tender.
- Place beef mixture in crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours, or low for 10-12 hours.