Recipe by *christie
This is an absolutely fabulous winter warmer! It is so simple to make and just wonderful on those cold nights.
- 500 g chuck steaks
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 slice bacon, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- bouquet garni
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 440 g canned white beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the beef and cut into 2cm (3/4 inch) cubes.
- Heat half the oil in a heavy saucepan and brown the meat quickly in batches. Remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil with the onion, garlic and bacon and cook gently until the onion is soft.
- Add the carrot, celery, wine and tomato paste.
- Return the beef to the pan along with the bouquet garni.
- Season with a little salt and pepper to taste, cover and cook for 1 1/4 hours or until the meat is just tender.
- Drain the beans and add to the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with a nice crusty bread.