Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
From America's Test Kitchen. "Adding a panade (a paste of bread and milk paste) to the ground beef creates burgers that are juicy and tender even when well-done. For a burger that cooks up flat, press the center of each patty down with your fingertips before grilling. Serve the burgers on your favorite buns or rolls. For cheeseburgers, follow the optional instructions below."
- 1 large slice high-quality white bread, crust removed and discarded, bread chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 29.58 ml whole milk
- 3.69 ml table salt
- 3.69 ml ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove (about 1 teaspoon)
- 9.85 ml steak sauce, such as A-1
- 680.38 g ground chuck, 80% lean
- vegetable oil, grate (for cooking)
- 170.09 g cheese, sliced (optional)
- 4 hamburger buns or 4 rolls
- Heat grill.
- Mash bread and milk in large bowl with fork until pasty (you should have about 1/4 cup). Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, and steak sauce.
- Break up beef into small pieces over bread mixture. Using fork or hands, lightly mix together until mixture forms cohesive mass.
- Divide meat into 4 equal portions. Gently toss one portion of meat back and forth between hands to form loose ball. Gently flatten into 3/4-inch-thick patty that measures about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. Press center of patty down with fingertips until it is about 1/2 inch thick, creating a slight depression in each patty. Repeat with remaining portions of meat.
- Lightly dip wad of paper towels in vegetable oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate. Grill burgers on hot side of grill, uncovered, until well seared on first side, 2 to 4 minutes. Using wide metal spatula, flip burgers and continue grilling, about 3 minutes for medium-well or 4 minutes for well-done. Distribute equal portions of cheese (if using) on burgers about 2 minutes before they reach desired doneness, covering burgers with disposable aluminum pan to melt cheese. While burgers grill, toast buns on cooler side of grill, rotating buns as necessary to toast evenly. Serve burgers on toasted buns.
Too bad I'm limited on the number of stars! This worked like a charm! My DH will only eats well done meat, and up until now, he's been eating 'hocky pucks' for burgers! Thanks so much for sharing!