1/2 Photos of Burgers, Well-Done but Still Juicy!
From America's Test Kitchen. "Adding a panade (a paste of bread and milk paste) to the ground beef creates burgers that are juicy and tender even when well-done. For a burger that cooks up flat, press the center of each patty down with your fingertips before grilling. Serve the burgers on your favorite buns or rolls. For cheeseburgers, follow the optional instructions below."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large slice high-quality white bread, crust removed and discarded, bread chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce, such as A-1
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck, 80% lean
- vegetable oil, grate (for cooking)
- 6 ounces cheese, sliced (optional)
- 4 hamburger buns or 4 rolls
- 1Heat grill.
- 2Mash bread and milk in large bowl with fork until pasty (you should have about 1/4 cup). Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, and steak sauce.
- 3Break up beef into small pieces over bread mixture. Using fork or hands, lightly mix together until mixture forms cohesive mass.
- 4Divide meat into 4 equal portions. Gently toss one portion of meat back and forth between hands to form loose ball. Gently flatten into 3/4-inch-thick patty that measures about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. Press center of patty down with fingertips until it is about 1/2 inch thick, creating a slight depression in each patty. Repeat with remaining portions of meat.
- 5Lightly dip wad of paper towels in vegetable oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate. Grill burgers on hot side of grill, uncovered, until well seared on first side, 2 to 4 minutes. Using wide metal spatula, flip burgers and continue grilling, about 3 minutes for medium-well or 4 minutes for well-done. Distribute equal portions of cheese (if using) on burgers about 2 minutes before they reach desired doneness, covering burgers with disposable aluminum pan to melt cheese. While burgers grill, toast buns on cooler side of grill, rotating buns as necessary to toast evenly. Serve burgers on toasted buns.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burgers, Well-Done but Still Juicy!
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.0
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 111.3 mg
- Sodium 776.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 37.1 g